Fall is here! We are so happy that cooler weather is just around the corner! First grade is continuing to learn, laugh, and have a great time!
With a new month beginning, there are several upcoming events you should mark on your calendar!
- October 7: Fire Safety Day- Students will learn about different ways to stay safe around fire/prevent fire...and they get to spray the fire hose!
- October 10: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- October 16: First Grade Parent Night- PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THIS IMPORTANT EVENT! Parents are highly encouraged to attend this informational evening (yes, you can earn informational PI hours!) so you can learn more about what is means to be a first grade family here at VCS. We will discuss curriculum as well as the new standards-based report card system. Please plan to attend!
- October 17: Report cards go home!
- October 28: All donations for our Buffalo Basket are due by this day! A letter explaining our theme and requests will be coming home very soon! We appreciate all of your donations and help with this wonderful project!
- October 31: Book-o-Ween - Students are allowed (and encouraged) to wear a costume that matches a book character! This is such a fun day for students and teachers...we will have our annual parade around the school in the morning to show off our costumes and matching books.
I would like to encourage parents to make sure that students are practicing tying their shoes at home. This is actually a first grade standard for P.E. and students will be tested on this skill later in the year. Many students are already able to do this, but some are still working on it. Thank you for your support with this!
As always, please continue to read baggy books and library books at home! Your children are doing a great job with this new challenge! Also, Tuesday nights now include a single page of reading comprehension homework. I ask that you please let your student try to do this on his/her own before you check and help. This gives them an opportunity to learn and grow!
Please let me know if you have ANY questions as our year goes on. I am always available via email (see link below). You and I are a team, and I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to work with you and your child. I am looking forward to a great year with you! We are going to have so much fun!