Welcome! Our goal in the media center is to create an environment that inspires students to pursue their interests and expand their horizons through reading, to become effective users of information and ideas, and to develop college and career readiness skills that enable them to become independent, lifelong learners.
FLORIDA TEENS READ PROGRAM
And the winner is .... All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely! Check out the winning video here. The 2017-2018 FTR list was also released this week. A video of the new titles can be viewed at this link: FTR Titles for 2017-2018 or you can read about each of the books at this link.
Florida's First Lady Ann Scott and the Florida Department of Education challenge students to participate in a Summer Literacy Adventure. tThe top 10 schools with the highest percentage of participation will be recognized by the department of education. To sign up for the challenge, click on the Summer Literacy Pledge or scan this QR Code:
This is your connection to our media collection. To access your personal media account, email the media specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org for your password. Click the Destiny link above and follow these steps:
1) Click on The Villages High School link
2) Click on Login (in the top right corner)
3) Enter this info: Username: Student ID # Password: Emailed to you from Mrs. Whittaker
FLORIDA TEENS READ PROGRAM
And the winner is ....All American Boys by Jason Reynold and Brendan Kiely! In case you missed it, you can check out the winning video at this FTR winner link. The new 2017-2018 FTR list was also just released, and you can view the new titles at this link: FTR Titles for 2017-2018.
Watch this brief video to view before writing your research papers.
When looking for an assigned lexile range, use the above link to guide your search.
1. Online videos & articles - earn informational hours by watching videos, reading articles, and completing surveys - all online! Earn 30 minutes for each of the two videos and five articles. We encourage both parents to review them, but credit will be awarded to only one parent for a maximum of 3.5 hours per household. To take advantage of this PI opportunity, access these resources at: https://sites.google.com/a/tvcs.org/mindset/
2. Informational Hour books - earn two informational hours for each VHS PI book. Both qualifying parents may test on the same book to earn a total of four hours. Check out the complete list of books under PDF Documents. Contact Mrs. Whittaker to reserve a book, visit the media center between 7:35 am and 3:15 pm, or ask your teen to pick up a book for you today to finish those remaining hours.
3. Earn service hours providing brownies for afternoon book chats.
NEED A QR READER APP?
Find directions on downloading a QR Reader under the Media Center PDF Documents in order to read descriptions of our newest PI books.
JURN - search engine which helps you find free academic articles and books. Covers the arts and humanities, science, biomedical business and law.
DMV Practice Test Florida - study the Florida Driver's Handbook and then take these practice tests for your driver's permit
Google Cultural Institute -amazing virtual field trips of museums, art collections, and wonders around the world!
Pics4Learning.com - use copy-right free photos & images for videos, portfolios, or any projects in an educational setting.
Florida Electronic Library - free databases to all Florida residents. Use your public library card to access these treasures!
ACT & SAT TEST PREP RESOURCES
These online resources connect you with study guides, practice exams, and tips to help you succeed.
Official SAT Practice - from CollegeBoard and Khan Academy
Top 50 Strategies for ACT Day - strategies as well as resources to help students prepare for the ACT and SAT.
Veritas Prep's Free SAT Study Resources - take online SAT practice tests, watch free SAT lesson videos broken down by subject, and explore the math, reading, and writing strategies to improve your score.
Sparknotes SAT - skill-building for the writing, reading & math sections of the SAT plus test-taking strategies & vocab-building tools
ACT Test Prep -the official ACT test site with free ACT question of the day, practice questions, and test tips
Prep Center for the ACT - two complete online practice tests with explanations for every question, problem-solving videos and other ACT preparation resources
SAT Test Prep - access free sample SAT questions, free full SAT practice tests, and the official SAT student guide
Varsity Tutors - free diagnostic tests, practice tests, flashcards, and questions of the day to help you prepare for your ACT, SAT and PSAT exams.
INeedAPencil – free SAT Prep with over 800 challenging practice exam questions with full explanations in math, reading and writing.
Mometrix Academy – SAT prep video reviews
AP US History Study Guide from Gilder Lehrman - everything needed to excel in AP US History
History PowerPoint Presentations - AP US History, AP World History, and AP US Government
SPANISH RESOURCES FOR HOMEWORK & RESEARCH
Infotrac provides students with Spanish- and Portuguese-language scholarly journals and magazines. Pick up the username and password at the media center and then log in at http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb . Scroll down to the database Informe Academico to access articles.
READING - FICTION & NONFICTION SOURCES
Every wonder what to read next? Search these lists for your next outstanding book.
College Bound Reading - revised every 5 years, these lists will help you round out your reading as you prepare for college entrance exams and courses.
Fictfact - follow your favorite series and know when new books are released
The Bookseer - type the title and author of the book that you just finished and see what the wise one recommends to you
What Should I Read Next - type the title of the book you just read and find your next book
Reading is a joy, a privilege and the right of every student. As you select the library books you will read, please understand that every book is not the best choice for every student. If a book is unappealing or offensive to you in any way, please return it and select another. You know which reading materials best serve you and your own standards, reading levels, and beliefs. Just remember these wise words spoken by someone once upon a time. "Dinosaurs didn't read. Now, they are extinct!"
Destiny – access our VHS eBook collection. Check out with your Destiny username and password or open to read on your device.
ManyBooks.net – popular titles, recommendations, and recent reviews of more than 29,000 eBooks available for Kindles, Nooks, iPads, and most other eReaders. Best of all they’re FREE!
Project Gutenberg - over 42,000 free eBooks available for readers to download or read online
DIGITAL REFERENCE RESOURCES
Infotrac – magazines, newspapers and reference resources with reliable, accurate information (username and password are available in media center)
Brittanica School - access the Encyclopedia Britannica through this link (username and password are available in media center)
Image Quest - images to enhance reports and presentations (username and password are available in media center)
Annals of American History - 2,100 entries from 1493 to the present; speeches, essays, biographies, landmark court decisions, photos and multimedia (username and password are available in media center)
Academy of Achievement - biographies about leaders and visionaries who have helped to shape our world
American Rhetoric - database of 5000+ full text, audio, and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates, interviews & recorded media events
Biography Base - collection of 5485 biographies
Infotopia – a search engine with trusted websites.
World Factbook – information on the history, culture, government, economy and geography of 267 countries.
Florida Electronic Library – (Login with the 14 digit # on your public library card)
State of Florida iTunes U – resources on Florida culture and history.
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - digital resources, such as maps, clip art and photos.
Owl Purdue – MLA and APA formatting style guide
EasyBib - bibliography and citation generator
Citation Machine – a guide for creating MLA and APA formatting
Students often request books that are "the next in the series," and we award service hours if parents purchase books. We also accept book donations based upon the needs in our collection, and service hours are awarded based on the books' retail value and condition. Here are several titles that are at the top of our wish list:
*All We Have Left by Wendy Mills
*The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas
* Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash
*Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley
*Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven
* Kids of Appetite by David Arnold
* Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
* My Lade Jane byCynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
* Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
* Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
* Samurai Rising: The Epic Life fo Minamoto Yishune by Pamela S. Turner
* Scythe by Neal Shusterman
* The Serpent King by Jeff Zintner
* Tell Me Three Kings by Julie Buxbaum
* Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
MEDIA CENTER POLICIES
We have established the following policies to encourage students to uphold our core value of stewardship as they use media center resources:
· Three books may be checked out for two weeks and renewed for another two-week period if there is no hold on them.
· Late books and overdue fines will restrict signing out additional items.
· The replacement cost will be charged for lost or damaged books.
· Late books will be charged $.05 per day after a five day grace period.
* There is no charge for black and white printing; color printing is 25 cents per page. students may print before and after school and during their lunches.
· Students are asked to be respectful of others and use the media center as a place for reading, studying, and conducting research in a quiet atmosphere.
· Students need a pre-signed pass from the media staff to come to the media center during both lunches. See the media staff for your pass.
Media Center Acrobat(.PDF) Documents
MLA Sample Paper - Sample MLA paper from LSSC Libraries
New PI eBooks - March 2016 - Our newest additions in eBook format
QR Reader Download - Directions for downloading a QR Reader
Spanish Books for Informational Hours - Earn 2 informational hours for each book quiz
Spanish Resources for Homework & Research - Magazine & newspaper articles for current topics.
VHS PI Informational Books - Complete list of print and eBooks
Media Center LinksWebsite on Plagiarism - Explains and reminds students about plagiarism rules