Ms. Jennifer Ramsell « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
This Teacher Connection Page is dedicated to my 9th grade ENG I Honors students. All 11th & 12th grade Advanced Placement Language & Composition students should refer to the class website and use the password provided to you in class on August 6.
Notice to 9th grade students & parents
* Please use this Teacher Connection page to keep up with all assignments, deadlines, important dates, links/documents/reference materials
- Magi News Report due September 2nd
- Quarter 1 Literacy Assignment has been posted below in the PDF section above the Calendar. The QI Literacy Document explains the assignment and the 3-column Notes Document is an example of how you can maintain your notes. Please DO NOT fill in this worksheet. The boxes are much too small and I will not accept an attempt to squeeze all information into the boxes on this sheet. It is simply and example of how you can approach the assignment. The final assignment that you turn in can be handwritten and submitted on loose leaf college ruled paper (no fringe!) or it can be typed in Word and emailed or handed in on paper. Literacy assignment is due September 30 - no late assignments will be accepted
- Argumentative Essay assignment due September 30 - uploaded to Turnitin.com (accounts will be established in class on the 28th or 29th)
- The House on Mango Street project due October 2
- Upcoming Vocabulary Quizzes - Wednesday, September 2; Wednesday, September 16; Wednesday, September 30
- Close Reading Skills Test on Wednesday, September 9
*Please do not skip ahead, only begin assignments as they are assigned (specific instructions could alter any assumptions you might have)
- Magi News Report will be due September 2nd
- Wednesday, September 2: Complete Questions 4-6 on page 77 due Thursday, September 3
- "The Cask of the Amontillado" plot diagram due Tuesday, September 8
Vocabulary words are introduced as bell ringers; additional work with words will happen as we work with the text. Students are expected, however, to study on their own for bi-weekly vocabulary quizzes, as well. Use the calendar to look for quiz dates. Click on the link provided that day on the calendar for a complete list of the words that will be on the quiz that day.
Listen to Edgar Allan Poe's "The Cask of the Amontillado" as read by Vincent Price, stage and film actor and narrator known for appearing in horror films
A sample MLA formatted paper is available to you through the following link on the VCS Media Center's page. This sample paper was provided by Lake Sumter State College. Please review this prior to submitting any essays. MLA format is a requirement.
Another wonderful writing resource is the Purdue Online Writing Lab, also known as the Purdue OWL. I will refer to this site often in class. Click here to access the site.
Here is yet another great resource for writing and speaking (presenting) skills, Writing Commons. While the site does say it is for college level writers, there is plenty of information on the site that we review in class. I think you will find that it is easy to understand and navigate.
Access your textbook online! Please visit Pearson EasyBridge.
New State Exam (FSA) information for students and parents/guardians can be found at this link. This includes a training test and guide.
P.E.R.T. (Postsecondary Education Readiness Test) - Florida's customized common placement test - information can be found here.
Access this link for a Pronunciation Guide. This is especially helpful while working with unfamiliar vocabulary.
3-Column Notes for Q1 Literacy Assignment - Use as a guide only, do not hand in this paper
ENG I Honors (9th) Classroom Policies -
ENG I Honors Syllabus -
Gift of the Magi News Report Project - Use this as a guide to completing the project
LIBRARY CARD APPLICATION - Available to all students
Q1 9th Grade Literacy Assignment - Run children's book titles past me first, please