Mrs. Marnie Miller « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Below are some links to help search for Science Fair Projects (Advanced). Please use these for your benefit.
Chapter 5: Earth, Moon, and Sun
Learning Goal(s): Explain how the moon, Earth, and sun work together and what effects are felt on Earth.
- 10/21/14: Chapter 5 Vocab Test (practice online flashcards for extra credit, parent signature)
- 10/23/14: Chapter 5 Objective and Short response test (Drawing and labeling the moon phases) - (take the practice test and make a 70% or higher for extra credit, no parent signature)
Independent Science Project: 2014-2015 NEW 6th GRADERS
Students will choose between a Science Fair (GOLD) path and the PowerPoint (GREEN) path.
Both paths complete independent controlled experiments but will present their information in different ways.
GOLD Path- Complete tri-fold board, binder, and compete in school science fair with a chance of advancing on to regionals and state. (Extra Credit Opportunities)
GREEN Path- Students will put information into a PowerPoint and present to teacher/class. Students cannot move on to the next level and there are no extra credit opportunities.
What you need to do right away:
- GET CURIOUS! Find a topic or problem that interests you and think of a way that you could test an aspect of that topic. You can also search on the Internet for experiments that spark your interest.
- Please note that topics involving the testing of humans, animals, and microbiology will be required to take the GREEN path during their 6th grade year. This is due to complicated paperwork that is required for these topics in the science fair path.
- Complete the rough plan and turn it in to your 6th grade science teacher no later than August 19th
- Once approved, you will be able to begin the next step which will be to conduct background research on your topic to make you more knowledgeable.
- We will begin discussing science fair on the first day of school.
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students will be set up on Moodle and all students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have been given a computer websites page with the Science textbook information included. At the web site students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary quizzes if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet). This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity, Vocabulary Test)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent sign your reflection/tracking sheet for bonus points on your vocabulary test .
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity, Chapter Objective Test)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Pearsonsuccess.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
Works Cited Creator- Helps organize your source information while completing research
Moodle - Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other material
6th Grade Computer Websites - Important information for websites and extra credi
6th Grade Earth/Space Syllabus -
Gold Path Binder Guide -
Gold Path Binder Rubric -
Green Path PowerPoint Rubric -
Green PowerPoint Guide -
Planet Poster Project -
Science Fair Forms and Instructions - Please Review
Science Fair Packet - Both Paths - Please refer to this packet often.
Volunteer application pg. 1 of 2 -
Volunteer application pg. 2 of 2 -