Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Less than a month to go...Where did the time go? Please encourage your child to stay strong during the final weeks. This will help them become successful 7th graders next year. Below, you will find useful information that will help you/your child be successful in science class. Please make sure to use the science textbook online resources. Directions for accessing the online flashcards and practice test are listed below, as well as in your child's science class folder.
6th Grade Earth and Space ScienceAdvanced Science 2015-2016 Students:
All advanced science students will be required to complete an independent science project to meet the 6th grade standard SC6 N.1.1. Students will be selected for advanced classes based on their FCAT Science 2.0 score, as well as their 5th grade science grades.
- Students will choose between the Science Fair (GOLD) path and the PowerPoint (GREEN) path. Both paths complete independent controlled experiments but will present their information in different ways.
- GOLD Path- Complete tri-fold board and compete in school science fair with a chance of advancing on to regionals and state. (Extra Credit Opportunities)
- GREEN Path- Students will put information into a PowerPoint and present to teacher/class. Students cannot move on to the next level and there are no extra credit opportunities.
- GET CURIOUS! Find a topic or problem that interests you and think of a way that you could test an aspect of that topic. You can also search on the Internet for experiments that may spark your interest. There is a pdf document listed below with links to many science fair websites.
- Please note that topics involving the testing of humans, animals, and microbiology will be required to take the GREEN path during their 6th grade year. This is due to very complicated paperwork that is required for these topics.
- Complete the rough plan and turn it in to your 6th grade science teacher between Thursday, August 6th and Thursday, August 20th
- Parents and students will sign showing their commitment to the project.
- Once approved, you will be able to begin the next step which will be to conduct background research on your topic to make you more knowledgeable and comfortable answering questions regarding your project.
- At the beginning of your 6th grade year, you will receive a complete project guide to help you through the entire process and a list of all due dates.
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle. This is a great research if you are absent.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have received a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary tests if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet. This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
PEARSON Password: Make sure that you are using the most current username and password given to you. This is NOT the one given during the first week of school. If you use this information, pearsonsuccessnet.com will tell you that you do not have an account.
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent initial your reflection sheet for bonus points.
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Science Wish List for 2015-2016:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Fred, our classroom tortoise.
- Quart size Ziploc bags
- Rolls of paper towels
- Hand soap
- Colored pencils
- Green scratcher pads
Moodle- Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other information
AR Home Connect- Check your child's current AR status (Language Arts Grade)
Pearsonsuccessnet.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
- 05/19/15- 6th Grade Science End of Year Assessment
- 05/19/15- 6th Grade Awards Ceremony (Invitation only...not all students will receive an award)
- 05/22/15- Last day for students
***REMEMBER...All documents (Homework, learning goal rubrics, PowerPoint notes, etc) are posted on Moodle. Students will need their school username and password to access Moodle.
2015-2016 6th Grade Science Project Guide -
2015-2016 6th Grade Science Project Rough Plan - Turn in between August 6th and August 20th
2015-2016 6th Grade Science Project Website Ideas - These websites offer ideas for a science project
Tracking Sheet for Extra Credit -