Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Below, you will find useful information that will help you/your child be successful in science class. Please make sure to use the science textbook online resources. Directions for accessing the online flashcards and practice test are listed below, as well as in your child's science class folder.
6th Grade Earth and Space Science
2014-2015 6th Grade Science Supply List:All students must have the following supplies with them daily. It is their responsibility to replace these items if lost or used up.
- Pens (any color), pencils (mechanical are fine), highlighters (Keep 2 at all times as these are used daily), science folder with chapter packet, and science project folder (advanced only) along with the composition book (advanced only).
Chapter 4: The Solar System
- Learning Goal(s): Compare and contrast the properties of objects in the Solar System including the Sun, planets, and moons to those of Earth. Compare various historical models of the Solar System, including the geocentric and heliocentric models.
- 10/07/14: Chapter 4 Vocab Test
- 10/09/14: Chapter 4 Objective and Short response test
Chapter 5: Earth, Moon, and Sun
- Learning Goal(s): Explain how the moon, Earth, and sun work together and what effects are felt on Earth.
- 10/21/14: Chapter 5 Vocab Test
- 10/23/14: Chapter 5 Objective and Short response test (Drawing and labeling the moon phases)
Independent Science Project: 2014-2015 6th GRADERS (Required for advanced classes only)
- Students will choose between a Science Fair (GOLD) path and the PowerPoint (GREEN) path.
- Both paths complete independent controlled experiments but will present their information in different ways.
- GOLD Path- Complete tri-fold board, binder, and compete in school science fair with a chance of advancing on to regionals and state. (Extra Credit Opportunities)
- GREEN Path- Students will put information into a PowerPoint and present to teacher/class. Students cannot move on to the next level and there are no extra credit opportunities.
- Where we are right now- All students should have completed their official research plan(BOTH paths) and turned in their ISEF forms (GOLD paths only). Students should now be working on their experiments. Remember to document everything in the logbook (Dates, times, procedures, materials, etc) and take lots of pictures. Students can also begin working on their binders. Binder guides are being handed out on Monday, 10/6. They are also available on Moodle, as a Word document, or a pdf document found below.
- Please note... If students are consistently not meeting deadlines, students will be changed to the PowerPoint path.
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle. This is a great research if you are absent.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have received a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary tests if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet. This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent initial your reflection sheet for bonus points.
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Science Wish List:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Fred, our classroom turtoise.
- Packages of colored copy paper (Individual colors per package- any colors)
Moodle- Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other information
AR Home Connect- Check your child's current AR status (Language Arts Grade)
Pearsonsuccessnet.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
- 1st Nine Weeks Ends- 10/09/14
- No school for students- 10/10/14
- Report cards- 10/17/14
- Buffalo Basket Auction- 11/08/14
6th Grade Science Syllabus - Please sign and return only the signature page
Science Fair- Board & Presentation Rubric -
Science Fair- Board Set-up -
Science Fair- GOLD Path Binder Guide -
Science Fair- GOLD Path Binder Rubric -
Science Fair- GREEN Path PowerPoint Guide -
Science Fair- GREEN Path PowerPoint Rubric -
Science Project Due Dates - Advanced Only
Science Project-Complete Project Guide - Both Paths-UPDATED 9/10/14
Tracking Sheet for Extra Credit -