Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Please contact me with any questions or concerns that you may have regarding 6th Grade Earth and Space Science. I look forward to an amazing year.
Below, you will find useful information that will help you/your child be successful in science class. Please make sure to use the science textbook online resources. Directions for accessing the online flashcards and practice test are listed below.
6th Grade Science
2014-2015 6th Grade Science Supply List:All students must have the following supplies with them daily. It is their responsibility to replace these items if lost or used up.
- Pens (any color), pencils (mechanical are fine), highlighters (Keep 2 at all times as these are used daily), science folder with chapter packet, and science project folder (advanced only) along with the composition book (advanced only).
- Chapter 1-2 Test...9/3/14 (This test will be worth 200 points)
Chapter 3: Stars, Galaxies, and the Universe
- Learning Goal(s): Recognize that there are enormous distances between objects in space, recognize that the universe contains many billions of galaxies, distinguish between planets and other astronomical bodies, explore the law of universal gravitation, and describe specific physical properties of stars.
- 9/12/14: Ch. 3 (L. 1-3) Vocab Test (100 pts)
- 9/19/14: Ch. 3 (L.4-6) Vocab Test (100 pts)
- 9/24/14: Chapter 3 Objective and short response test (150 pts)
Independent Science Project: 2014-2015 6th GRADERS (Required for advanced classes only)
- Students will choose between a Science Fair (GOLD) path and the PowerPoint (GREEN) path.
- Both paths complete independent controlled experiments but will present their information in different ways.
- GOLD Path- Complete tri-fold board, binder, and compete in school science fair with a chance of advancing on to regionals and state. (Extra Credit Opportunities)
- GREEN Path- Students will put information into a PowerPoint and present to teacher/class. Students cannot move on to the next level and there are no extra credit opportunities.
- Where we are right now- Students should be researching background information about their topic to help them understand their project. They will need to type this information using the format they have in their science fair folder(an example is included in this packet). This outline must also include a title page and a separate works cited page. This will be due 9/11/14.
- Please note... If students are consistently not meeting deadlines, they will be changed to the PowerPoint path.
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle. This is a great research if you are absent.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have received a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary tests if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet. This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent initial your reflection sheet for bonus points.
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Science Wish List:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Fred, our classroom turtoise.
- Packages of colored copy paper (Individual colors per package- any colors)
Moodle- Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other information
AR Home Connect- Check your child's current AR status (Language Arts Grade)
Pearsonsuccessnet.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
- No school- Labor Day 9/1/14
- Progress reports- 9/9/14
6th Grade Science Syllabus - Please sign and return only the signature page
6th Grade Science Websites - Both regular and advanced
Advanced Science- Project Guidelines - Both paths
Ch. 1 and 2 Learning Goals and Rubric - Complete as we go...Due 9/3/14
Chapter 1 PowerPoint Notes - Usually will only be found on Moodle
Chapter 2 PowerPoint Notes -
Science Fair Ideas Websites - Both GREEN and GOLD paths
Science Project Due Dates - Advanced Only
Science Project Rough Plan - Advanced Only- Due Aug. 19th
Tracking Sheet for Extra Credit -