Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
Below, you will find useful information that will help you/your child be successful in science class. Please make sure to use the science textbook online resources. Directions for accessing the online flashcards and practice test are listed below, as well as in your child's science class folder.
6th Grade Earth and Space ScienceAll students must have the following supplies with them daily. It is their responsibility to replace these items if lost or used up.
(any color), pencils (mechanical are fine), highlighters (Keep 2 at all
times as these are used daily), science folder with chapter packet, and
science project folder (advanced only) along with the composition book
- Learning Goal(s): Explain and give examples of how physical evidence supports scientific theories that Earth has evolved over geologic time due to natural processes and explore the scientific theory of plate tectonics by describing how movement of the Earth's crustal plates causes both slow and rapid changes on the Earth's surface.
- 12/12/14: Chapter 9 Vocab Test
- 01/09/15: Chapter 9 Objective Test (New date)
- Learning Goal(s): Explore the scientific theory of plate tectonics by describing how movement of the Earth's crustal plates causes both slow and rapid changes on the Earth's surface including volcanoes and earhtquakes.
- 01/21/15: Chapter 10 Vocab Test
- 01/27/15: Chapter 11 Vocab Test
- 01/30/15: Chapter 10-11 Objective Test
Science Fair: 2014-2015- Congratulations to the following middle school students for their outstanding accomplishments on their science fair projects. These students were selected as part of our regional science team. Next stop is regionals in Ocala.
- Best in Show- 1st Place Overall... Kevin Matos (Environmental)-8th Grade
- 2nd Place Overall...Alex Homs (Environmental)- 6th Grade
- 3rd Place Overall...Garielle Soto (Earth and Space)- 8th Grade
- Kayle Cunningham (Microbiology)- 7th Grade
- Sabrina Mead (Microbiology)- 8th Grade
- Ryan Graham (Botany)- 8th Grade
- Katie Wiley (Medicine and Health)-6th Grade
- Randa Shaw (Engineering)-8th Grade
- Alternate-Lauren Deak (Medicine and Health) - 8th Grade
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle. This is a great research if you are absent.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have received a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary tests if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet. This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
PEARSON Password: Make sure that you are using the most current username and password given to you. This is NOT the one given during the first week of school. If you use this information, pearsonsuccessnet.com will tell you that you do not have an account.
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent initial your reflection sheet for bonus points.
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Science Wish List:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Fred, our classroom turtoise.
- Packages of colored copy paper (Individual colors per package- any colors)
Moodle- Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other information
AR Home Connect- Check your child's current AR status (Language Arts Grade)
Pearsonsuccessnet.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
- 12/19/14- 2nd Nine Weeks End
- 12/22/14- Winter Break Begins
- 01/07/15- Students Return
- 01/09/15- Chapter 9 Test