Mrs. Lauri Siverson « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Dear Parents and Students,
It's hard to believe that we are in the final stretch. The last nine weeks of the 2014-2015 school is here. Please encourage your child to complete all their work and study for tests. This will help them become successful 7th graders next year. Below, you will find useful information that will help you/your child be successful in science class. Please make sure to use the science textbook online resources. Directions for accessing the online flashcards and practice test are listed below, as well as in your child's science class folder.
6th Grade Earth and Space ScienceRESTOCK THEIR BACKPACK: All students must have the following supplies with them daily. It is their responsibility to replace these items if lost or used up.
(any color), pencils (mechanical are fine), highlighters (Keep 2 at all
times as these are used daily), science folder with chapter packet, and
science project folder (advanced only) along with the composition book
Chapter 15: Weather Factors
- Learning Goal(s):Differentiate among radiation, conduction, and convection. Investigate and apply how the cycling of water between the atmosphere and hydrosphere has an effect on weather patterns and climate.
- 03/25/15: Chapter 15-Vocab Test
- 03/27/15: Chapter 15 Objective Test (100 points...on computer)
Big Springs Regional Science Fair: 2014-2015- Congratulations to our middle school science regional team. They competed against other students from Sumter, Marion, and Levy county. Here are the results from regionals.
Middle School Junior Division:
1. Alex Homs- Chemistry 1st Place Category & State Team – additional: Broadcom Masters Award; national Oceanic and Atmospheric Association Award.
2. Gabrielle Soto- Earth & Space 1st Place Category & Alternate State Team - additional: Broadcom Masters Award, Orlando Science Center Competition.
3. Rhanda Shaw- Engineering 1st Place Category & State Team – additional: Broadcom Masters Award, Orlando Science Center Competition; United States Navy Award.
4. Sabrina Mead- Microbiology 1st Place Category & State Team – additional: Broadcom Masters, Orlando Science Center Competition.
5. Kevin Matos- Environmental Science 1st Place Category & State Team – additional: Broadcom Masters, Orlando Science Center Competition.
6. Katie Wiley- Behavioral & Social Science 2nd Place Category – additional: American Physiological Award; US Army Award
7. Ryan Graham- Botany 1st Place Category & State Team – additional: Broadcom Masters
8. Kayle Cunningham - Medicine & Health 1st Place Category & State Team - additional: Broadcom Masters
Key Science Project Vocabulary:
Controlled Experiment-An experiment which involves changing only 1 factor (independent variable) and observing its effect on one thing, while keeping all other factors (variables) constant.
Variable- Factors that can change during an experiment
Independent (Tested or manipulated) Variable- The ONE factor that is changed/tested during a controlled experiment.
Dependent (Responding) Variable- Changes in response to the independent variable
Controlled Variable(s)- The variable(s) that are kept the same, or controlled, throughout an experiment.
Moodle- Students can access Moodle by clicking on the link below. Once at the login screen, students will enter their user name and passwords that they use to access the computers here at school. Moodle can be accessed from any computer, as well as iPads and smartphones. All handouts and PowerPoints will be available on Moodle. This is a great research if you are absent.
Online Textbook & Bonus Activities - Students have received a username and password to access www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. At this web site, students will find their textbook online and additional activities to reinforce what they are learning in the classroom. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on vocabulary tests if they test themselves prior with the online flashcards (they must have a parent witness and sign off on their reflection sheet. This will help them prepare/study for all vocabulary quizzes. A few days prior to the chapter tests students will have access to the online chapter practice test. They will also have the opportunity to get bonus points on for all chapter tests by completing these online practice tests and earning a 70% or above. Again, this will help them prepare/study for all chapter tests. The web site is - www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
PEARSON Password: Make sure that you are using the most current username and password given to you. This is NOT the one given during the first week of school. If you use this information, pearsonsuccessnet.com will tell you that you do not have an account.
Online Vocabulary Flashcard Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Explore (top right).
- Click on the chapter.
- Click on the Essential Question.
- Click on Vocabulary Flash Cards (top right).
- Click on next and then test me.
- Hide the terms and select random.
- Don't forget to have a parent initial your reflection sheet for bonus points.
Online Practice Test Instructions (Extra Credit Opportunity-Pearsonsuccess)
- Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com and log in.
- Click on Things to Do (top right).
- The test will be waiting for you several days prior to the test date.
- Your score will be sent to me.
- Students that score a 70% or higher will receive bonus points on their chapter test.
Science Wish List:
- Extra bedding (coconut fiber) for Fred, our classroom tortoise.
- Packages of colored copy paper (Individual colors per package- any colors)
Moodle- Access worksheets, PowerPoints, and other information
AR Home Connect- Check your child's current AR status (Language Arts Grade)
Pearsonsuccessnet.com- Online Interactive Science Textbook (Online flashcards and practice tests)
- www.sciencenews.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.societyforscience.org - Science Fair forms
- www.sciencebuddies.org - Science Fair topic ideas
- www.all-science-fair-projects.com - Science Fair topic ideas
- 03/20/15- Report cards sent home
- 03/30/15- First day of spring break
- 04/1-04/03- Florida State science fair- Lakeland, FL
- 04/06/15- Students return
- 04/13/15- FSA Testing begins at the middle school (Specific testing dates will be posted soon)
***REMEMBER...All documents (Homework, learning goal rubrics, PowerPoint notes, etc) are posted on Moodle. Students will need their username and password to access Moodle.