Mrs. Cynthia Mergaert « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
May 2nd to May 20th:
This month we will finish reading the novel Heat by Mike Lupica. All students need to take an AR test on Heat by May 11th. The final extra credit option will be available the last week of school on USA Test Prep! Please read, read, read to reach your goal for the fourth nine weeks grading period by the final testing day, May 11th. We will make and present a tournament brochure this month. The rubric for the brochure is posted in the PDF documents. The brochure must be completed by May 11th. Finally, we will end up the year by presenting the play, You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. The play will be presented in class on Wednesday, May 18th and Thursday May 19th. We have almost completed another school year! I hope everyone finishes up the year strong!
If you have not purchased your supplies yet, the necessary supplies for language arts this year are:
Language Arts-Regular and Advanced:
· 2 Thick Plastic Folders with three brads to hold papers
· 1 Composition notebook – not Spiral
· 1 pack of pencils (to be turned in to the teacher)
· 1 pack of notebook paper (to be turned in to the teacher)
Please bring your supplies to school as soon as possible.
USA Test Prep Link - http://www.usatestprep.com/Member-Login
*** Remember, for all assignments that require a written response:
- Fully restate the question in the response. Do not leave the reader of your answer
wondering who, what, where, or why.
- Do not start your answer with a pronoun. The reader will not know who he, she, they,
these, that, or it is.
- Stay objective in your answer. No I, my, or me statements.
- Use correct punctuation and grammar. Your writing is graded on all of these elements
*** For the RACE constructed response method:
- R - Restate the question you are addressing to ensure the reader of your answer understands
what you are writing about.
- A - Answer the question in your own words.
- C - Cite text from the book or article. Use the exact words from the text in quotation
- E - Explain how the cited text supports the answer.
On-line Literature Book - www.pearsonrealize.com
Essay Scorer - www.essayscorer.com/ph/fl/vcs
2015-2016 Behavior Management Plan -
2015-2016 Student Handbook -
2015-2016 Sunshine State Book List -
Argumentation and Informative Writing Rubric -
Argumentative Essay Outline Notes -
Argumentative Essay Writing Guidelines -
Informative Writing Guidelines -
Notes on Essay Planning -
Tournament Brochure -
Writing Tutoring Letter -