Mrs. Cynthia Mergaert « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
Welcome to all new 6th grade students!
I hope you had a great summer and took some time out to read. All incoming 6th Grade students should have gotten 10 AR points over the summer. This will be your first test grade, so as long as you reached your 10 point goal you will start the year with a 100%!. Also, I will be giving Book Fair rewards to those who took the initiative and gained thirty points or more! I look forward to seeing everyone soon, I know we are going to have a great school year together!
***Extra, Extra Read All ABout It! *** 2016-2017 Sunshine State Books - For those of you that would like to gain an extra field trip, the librarian hosts a Sunshine State Book challenge. All students that read and AR test on all of the Sunshine State Books by the beginning of March will be eligible for the trip. For a complete list and a review for all of the Sunshine State Books, look at the 2016-2017 Sunshine State Book List PDF link below. Happy reading!
If you have not purchased your supplies yet, the necessary supplies for language arts in 2016-2017 are:
Language Arts-Regular and Advanced:
· 2 Thick Plastic Folders with three brads to hold papers, or one 1/2 binder with pockets.
· 2 packs of sharpened pencils (to be turned in to the teacher)
Please bring your supplies to school as soon as possible.
USA Test Prep Link - http://www.usatestprep.com/Member-Login
*** Remember, for all assignments that require a written response:
- Fully restate the question in the response. Do not leave the reader of your answer
wondering who, what, where, or why.
- Do not start your answer with a pronoun. The reader will not know who he, she, they,
these, that, or it is.
- Stay objective in your answer. No I, my, or me statements.
- Use correct punctuation and grammar. Your writing is graded on all of these elements
*** For the RACE constructed response method:
- R - Restate the question you are addressing to ensure the reader of your answer understands
what you are writing about.
- A - Answer the question in your own words.
- C - Cite text from the book or article. Use the exact words from the text in quotation
- E - Explain how the cited text supports the answer.
On-line Literature Book - www.pearsonrealize.com
Essay Scorer - www.essayscorer.com/ph/fl/vcs