Mrs. Cynthia Mergaert « Teacher Connection / Documents / Calendar
February 1st through February 29th:
This month we are delving into the Pearson Literature book and working on cold read passages. We will continue working on writing strategies in preparation for the FSA March 1st. Remember to complete the two USA test prep practice quizzes per week. These will be a grade, so please take advantage of the unlimited amount of tries to get a perfect score! There will be extra credit options included with the USA Test Prep practice quizzes. I will explain the details in class. Please read, read, read to reach your goal for the second nine weeks grading period. If you reach 100% of your AR goal by the 50% goal date you will receive 5 points extra credit! The Sunshine State Books are a great way to get your AR goal. If you have not purchased your supplies yet, the necessary supplies for language arts this year are:
Language Arts-Regular and Advanced:
· 2 Thick Plastic Folders with three brads to hold papers
· 1 Composition notebook – not Spiral
· 1 pack of pencils (to be turned in to the teacher)
· 1 pack of notebook paper (to be turned in to the teacher)
Please bring your supplies to school as soon as possible.
USA Test Prep Link - http://www.usatestprep.com/Member-Login
*** Remember, for all assignments that require a written response:
- Fully restate the question in the response. Do not leave the reader of your answer
wondering who, what, where, or why.
- Do not start your answer with a pronoun. The reader will not know who he, she, they,
these, that, or it is.
- Stay objective in your answer. No I, my, or me statements.
- Use correct punctuation and grammar. Your writing is graded on all of these elements
*** For the RACE constructed response method:
- R - Restate the question you are addressing to ensure the reader of your answer understands
what you are writing about.
- A - Answer the question in your own words.
- C - Cite text from the book or article. Use the exact words from the text in quotation
- E - Explain how the cited text supports the answer.
***The new Sunshine State Book list for the 2015-2016 school year is now available. These are a great option for summer reading to gain your AR points and get a jump on the Sunshine State Book challenge. The list is attached as a PDF file. Happy Reading!
On-line Literature Book - www.pearsonrealize.com
Essay Scorer - www.essayscorer.com/ph/fl/vcs
"Stray" Brochure Blank Template -
"Stray" Brochure Idea Template -
"Stray" Brochure Rubric -
2015-2016 Behavior Management Plan -
2015-2016 Student Handbook -
2015-2016 Sunshine State Book List -
Argumentation and Informative Writing Rubric -
Argumentative Essay Outline Notes -
Argumentative Essay Writing Guidelines -
EPCOT Field Trip Chaperone Information -
EPCOT Field Trip Student Information -
Field Trip Information Form -
Field Trip Parent Consent Form -
Informative Writing Guidelines -
Keystone Pipeline XL Writing Prompt -
Notes on Essay Planning -
Spanish Version - EPCOT Field Trip Student Info. -
Text Structures Resource -
Writing Tutoring Letter -