2016 - 2017 School Year
Uniform Policy for Kindergarten - 12th Grade
This uniform policy has been created to ensure all students have the opportunity to learn and grow in a business-like environment conducive to learning. It is our hope that holding them accountable for these expectations will continue our success in growing your children into responsible, well-rounded individuals with entrepreneurial spirits.
Elementary school requires athletic shoes with closed toe and back due to the state-mandated daily PE requirement. Middle and high schools require a closed toe shoe with a closed back or a strap around the back ankle. Flip flops or sandals are not permitted.
Logo shirts are available in five different colors. "VHS logo" shirts are for VHS students only.
Skirts, jumpers, capris, shorts, skorts, slacks and coveralls are allowed and must be in solid navy or beige khaki material. Embellishments such as contrast stitching, sparkles, glitter, lace and embroidery, and cut-off or frayed hems or holes are NOT ALLOWED. Please NO denim of any color. Suggestions for places to buy uniform bottoms are: Bealls, Belk, Gap, JC Penney, Old Navy, Sears, Target, and Wal-Mart.
All outerwear must have a VCS logo and must be purchased at the school store or through school programs.
To ensure that all students meet our high expectations, Administration reserves the right to determine if any part of a student’s physical appearance is a distraction to the learning environment. The Director of Education, in consultation with the principal, may waive the school uniform policy, in whole or in part, on a case-by-case basis for disability, medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
The following rules will be observed:
- Shirts will be worn tucked in at all times. Please help with this expectation by making sure your child is prepared upon exiting the family car.
- All undershirts must be plain white or the exact color of the uniform shirt worn (no writing or graphics).
- Shorts and skirts must be worn at fingertip length or longer. (Individual issues may be addressed.)
- Undergarments cannot be exposed while standing, sitting or bending over.
- Tights or leggings are permitted; however, leggings must be worn under the uniform bottoms and be the same color as the bottoms (only colors allowed are khaki/beige or navy); any length is acceptable as long as it looks like it is part of the uniform bottoms.
- Belts must be worn with all clothes having belt loops.
- Middle and high school students are required to dress out for P.E. (uniforms sold in school store).
- On special dress-up days, if student is not dressing in appropriate “theme” clothing they must wear their regular uniform.
- Hair must be of a color that occurs naturally in human nature. Hair should be styled in a way that is not deemed a distraction to others. Examples of unacceptable hair styles are Mohawks and hair tattoo cuts.
- Facial piercings or other body alterations/displays are prohibited.
- Tattoos that are visible to others during the school day are prohibited.
- Hats or hoods on outerwear may not be worn indoors during the school day.
- In all dress, professionalism and appropriateness will be expected.
VHS Academy Uniforms (for Grades 11-12 Only)
VHS Academies have a uniform that best fits the workplace of each academy. Orders can be placed at Custom Apparel also. Students are expected to wear their academy uniforms every day.